HND in Business (Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management) Further Information
You will be taught through a combination of lectures, group tutorials and one to one session. Group Tutorials enable you to discuss and develop your understanding of topics covered in lectures in smaller groups; you will also have timetabled meetings with your personal tutor for one-to-one sessions.
You will have access to college library and ICT lab facilities throughout your course.
During the course, you will have between 10 to 13 contact hours per week, consisting of:
- 6-9 hours of lectures
- 3 hours of Group Tutorial
- 1 hour of one-to-one sessions.
The aims of the learning are to:
- Enable students to move from directed towards greater self-directed and autonomous learning, specifically encouraging a positive attitude towards independent learning.
- Articulate measured approaches to the delivery of learning which enables every student to develop, as independent learners, studying their chosen subject(s) in depth and enhancing their employability, as well as nurturing the growth of analytical, critical, and creative thinking skills.
- Ensure the provision of inclusive learning through promoting equality, diversity and equal opportunity.
- Ensure lecturers, internal verifiers and anyone involved in teaching or supporting student learning are appropriately qualified, supported and developed.
Each 15-credit unit approximates to a TQT (Total Qualification Time) of 150 hours which usually equates to 60 hours of Guided Learning and 90 hours of independent learning.
The College ensures all academic
provision including programmes, modules and units and underpinning resources (technical and physical) are up to date and fit for the purpose. Personal tutors comply with the College’s commitment to supporting greater opportunities for access to education for students who might otherwise not realise their full potential.
Our Academic Support Team provides help in the following areas:
- Study skills (including reading, note-taking, and presentation skills)
- Written English (including punctuation and grammatical accuracy)
- Academic writing (including how to reference)
- Research skills (in conjunction with the library)
- Critical thinking and understanding arguments
- Revision, assessment, and examination skills (including time management).
Our Student Support and Reasonable Adjustment Policy help students with additional needs.
You will be taught by an experienced teaching team whose expertise and knowledge are closely matched to the content of the modules on the course. The team includes senior academics, professional practitioners with industry experience and technical officers.
ASSESSMENT AND FEEDBACK
The course is assessed at the end of each term through coursework which includes assignments, presentations, and other means of assessment. Students may need to submit a portfolio for certain units if necessary, according to the assessment criteria. Each unit is internally assessed and graded by qualified Tutors/Assessors and Internal Verifiers. A sample of assessments is also moderated by a Pearson External Examiner. Grades awarded are Pass, Merit and Distinction.
The College has a Policy on the Recognition of Prior Learning, the aim of which is to assess whether learners can demonstrate that they can meet the assessment requirements for a unit through knowledge, understanding or skills they already possess and so do not need to develop through a discrete course of learning.
Pearson would expect that an HND student would have achieved at least 90 credits at Level 4 before progressing to Level 5 units. This allows for the students to submit the remaining 30 credits at Level 4 while undertaking their Level 5 study.
You will receive feedback on all practice assessments and on formal assessments. Feedback from markers should be provided within 4 weeks from the submission deadline and the feedback must be clear, legible, and constructive. It must also be linked to the learning outcomes and the assessment.
How to Apply?
Tell us a little about yourself and we’ll help with the rest. Our convenient online application tool only takes 10 minutes to complete.
After you submit your application, an admissions representative will contact you and will help you to complete the process.
Once you’ve completed your application and connected with an admissions representative, you’re ready to create your schedule.